Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:07:08 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        bsd@bsdhome.com (Brian Dean)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ata timeouts after debug commits

> > #########
> > atapci0: <Intel ICH2 ATA100 controller> port 0xbfa0-0xbfaf at device 31.1 on pci
> > 0
> > ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
> > ata0-master: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> > ata0-master: identify failed
> > #########
> >
> > At the end I tracked it down to these commits:
> >
> > src/sys/i386/i386/db_trace.c,v 1.35.2.1 2001/07/12 02:57:11 bsd
> > src/sys/i386/i386/support.s,v 1.67.2.4 2001/07/12 02:57:11 bsd
> > src/sys/i386/include/cpufunc.h,v 1.96.2.2 2001/07/12 02:57:11 bsd
> >
> > If I back those commits out, the machine boots and see the disk with no
> > problems.
> >
> > Anybody have any ideas about it?
>
> Hmmm ..., I guess I'm more confused than anything.  The changes you
> refer to above affect only accessing the debug registers while in the
> DDB kernel debugger.  None of the code from the above commit should be
> in the code path during startup, or anywhere else, actually, except
> from withing ddb.

Maybe it isn't the code itself but just that things moved? I tried the
snaps on internat and the ones before July 13 worked, but Jul 13 and
later didn't work. Even a fairly stripped down kernel with later sources
didn't work until I backed out those 3 files.

> Do you have DDB enabled in your config?  If not, try adding that to
> your kernel and then boot and try breaking to the debugger
> (CTL-ALT-ESC) when the system is hung and see if you can determine
> where the system is hung.

I'll do that as soon as I can get hold of the notebook again. It isn't
mine, I just borrowed it to get the Lucent/Orinoco/Dell mini-pci wireless
card going. The kernel doesn't hang though. It just don't see the disk and
then does not have anywhere to boot from.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za