Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:23:52 -0500
From:      "john taylor" <jdtaylor451@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ARP flipping address?

I have a Sonicwall XPRS firewall with a DMZ port that controls DoS attacks
on our publicly addressable servers. The server is a FreeBSD 4.3-Release
machine with a single NIC with a static, public IP running ProFTPd, Apache,
SSH, Postfix. Due to the circumstance of when I first began noticing the
flip I had thought that afpd (Mac file sharing over TCP) might be involved
in the problem, but I have since rebuilt the machine without afpd, netatalk,
and samba and the problem persists.

I know that this issue is more than likely due to the configuration of the
firewall, but hoped that someone here may recognize something with regard to
FreeBSD in the problem.

Alert shown from dmesg...

arp: AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA moved from YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY to ZZ:ZZ:ZZ:ZZ:ZZ:ZZ on
ep0
arp: ZZ:ZZ:ZZ:ZZ:ZZ:ZZ is using my IP address BBB.BBB.BBB.BBB!

where...
- BBB.BBB.BBB.BBB is the correct IP of the server's NIC
- AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA is the public IP for the LAN
- YY.YY.YY.YY.YY.YY is believed to be the MAC for the T1 router (Vina)
- ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ is the MAC address of the Sonicwall firewall device

Any ideas? TIA.

John Taylor