Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 23:56:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      custom <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PHP and apache

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Generic Player wrote:

> Hi
>
> I tried installing apache+php3 during the install of freebsd, which went
> fine except that the install was spread all over /usr/local, and it
> ingored php code.  So I removed it, but it left the files spread all
> over /usr/local for some reason, and downloaded apache 1.3.12 and php
> 4.0.1 from the web and followed the instructions there.  This time it
> installed to /www still ignores php code, and doesn't start when I boot
> up.  I made sure both times that I un-commented the appropriate lines in
> httpd.conf like it says in the php install file.

Do you have the php.ini file in the right place? Did you add the *.php
file type? What do your apahce logs say. They are generally very good at
pointing out errors.

> Also, is there anything I am missing, I am new to freebsd, but I find
> nothing works right.  Stuff that runs fine in slack 7 is broken and
> crashes all the time in FreeBSD 4.  Kmp3, xmms, x11amp, flashplayer, and
> every single ICQ clone I can find all either crash constantly, or don't
> work right to begin with.  Any ideas where to start trying to find out
> what the problem is?

If you are running Linux binary versions of these software then you need
to aenable linux emulation. If you built them from source the linux way,
then you need to learn the FreeBSD way. Either `pkg_add disto.tar.gz` or
'cd /usr/ports/category/program_name; make install'

Good luck,
Jason C. Wells