Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:25:47 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to boot from wd1s1a

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 07:34:27AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:37:03 +0200
> > From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 10:39:15AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > I recently added a second HD to my system and attempted to clone my
> > > original disk. I used pax and cloned /usr and /. Both appear to
> > > correct. The partition size and location for the root partitions on
> > > each drive look to be identical.
> > >
> > > I then edited the fstab on the new drive to mount /usr and /var from
> > > the new drive and tried to boot it. The boot manager prompted me with:
> > > F1 FreeBSD
> > > F5 Disk 1
> > >
> > > I entered F5 and was prompted with
> > > F1 FreeBSD
> > > F5 Disk0
> > >
> > > I enter F1 and the system resets immediately and I start from
> > > scratch. I mean resets to where it would be if I power cycled the
> > > box. BIOS restarts.
> >
> > Is the partition of the second disk active?
> >
> > I'm not sure if the boot loader requires this, but it seemed to fix my
> > problems when I did a similar disk-cloning for a friend of mine.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Both partitions are marked ACTIVE and are
> (as far as I can tell) identical except for size. This is based on the
> output of fdisk /dev/rwd[01], fdisk /dev/rwd[01]s1 and
> /dev/rwd[01]s1a.

Other things I would go hunting for would be:

.. jumpers of disks; i.e. the 'second' disk, is it on it's own wire?
   if the disk is on the same wire with some other device (cdrom?) then
   setting the jumpers of the devices to reflect their true master/slave
   relationship is always a good thing.

.. messed up installation of booteasy on second disk.  Try running
   boot0cfg on the second disk ;)

Ciao,
- Giorgos Keramidas