Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:42:51 -0500
From:      Eric Jones <ejon@colltech.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

Folks,
    In looking through the sysinstall source, I noticed that the man
page states
that "This product is currently at the end of  its life cycle and will
eventually
be replaced."

Is there any truth to this?  Apparently this verbiage was introduced in
rev 1.20 because the previous text claimed that it would be replaced
in 3.1-Release, "hopefully by setup(1)" (?????).

Amusingly, the man page author (Jordan?) says, "This utility is a
prototype
which lasted approximately 3 years past its expiration date and is
greatly
in need of death."

Which may or may not be true, but I've been reading current for quite a
while and don't recall any discussion of a sysinstall replacement. I'm
thinking
of doing some work on automating installs and I'd hate to invest too
much effort
in a "prototype."

Eric