Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:21:37 -0800
From:      "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
To:        "'Joel Gudknecht'" <jgudknecht@marathonmultimedia.com>, "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 4.9-RELEASE + XP Pro problem

> I'm having a hell of a time getting XP Pro and 4.9 on the
> same drive. I've tried various ways to get them to co-exist
> to no avail. Here's what I'm trying to accomplish;
>
> 30 GB HD total
>
> First 24 GB = XP
>
> Last 6 GB = 4.9
>
> Installed XP first, then 4.9, said NONE at the boot menu
> during install.
>
> Went to reboot and bsd had taken over either the boot sector
> or the mbr.
>
> Tried xp recovery console, fixmbr, fixboot, nothing worked,
> bsd continues to boot up by default.
>
> What I want is to have the nt boot loader give the choice to
> boot into bsd by using the boot1 -> bootsect.bsd method in boot.ini.
>
> What I'm I doing wrong here?

I just did a dual boot setup with XP and 5.2.

I chose none intentionally, installed FreeBSD, then as I was rebooting, put
in my GAG disk and installed GAG as my boot loader.  It found both my
FreeBSD partition and my XP partitions.  I set it up, and I can safely boot
into either o/s fairly easily.

Gag is available on sourceforge.