Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 21:29:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystr.RWSystems.net>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cat exploit

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Michael Maxwell wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 10:57:59AM -0700, patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:
> > No, I usually 'less', 'more', or even 'emacs' it.  For two reasons.
> > 1) INSTALL is usually too large to fit in a single terminal window;
> > sometimes too large to fit in the default scrollbuffer.  2)  It
> > might contain characters that would make my terminal window do
> > something I'd rather it didn't...
> And another solution that has thus far been forgotten: file(1).  I use this
> routinely, on systems that have it, before I "cat" or "more" a file...

'file' only looks at enough of the file to characterize it and print
something for the user. It catches binaries, but not someone who embedding
a control char in an interactive session (chat, motd 8{), old finger,
such) or somewhere down in a 'text' file.

Having Who-R-You (Ctl-E) support is *very* handy, could we just make it
static? Make it return 'xterm' and nothing else and it might be safe.

James Wyatt (jwyatt@rwsystems.net)