Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:28:07 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, Chris Marlatt <cmarlatt@rxsec.com>
Subject:   Re: What about BIND 9.3.4 in FreeBSD in base system ?

Doug Barton wrote:
> Chris Marlatt wrote:
[ ... ]
> Yes, but whether a full upgrade is needed for "support" or not depends
> on your definition. Given that FreeBSD is not vulnerable to these issues
> in its default configuration, one could easily argue that an upgrade for
> RELENG_5 isn't necessary.

I've been bitten by CVE-2006-4096, and have applied the workaround to limit
the # of outstanding queries.  I've got two nameservers tracking 5-STABLE
which were vulnerable to CVE-2006-4095, and I have no doubt that there are
other people besides me who will be affected by CVE-2007-0493.

I'm starting to feel thankful that my important domains include off-site
secondaries which are running djbdns.

Does the FreeBSD security team have a position with regard to whether the
above DoS vulnerabilities ought to be fixed in the 5-STABLE branch?

--
-Chuck