Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:03:17 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing T/TCP and replacing it with something simpler

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 04:33:17PM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> > Thus after the removal of T/TCP for the reasons above I want to provide
> > a work-alike replacement for T/TCP's functionality:
> ..
> > This different implementation will be disabled by default and clearly
> > marked EXPERIMENTAL in a protocol sense.  It will allow the only known
> > user of T/TCP to keep the same functionality with a very small change
> > to his application.  It allows interesting new uses primarily in
> > Intranet environment where many short connections are openend in rapid
> > succession (LDAP servers, SQL servers, etc.).  The modifications to
> > those programs to use the new option is minimal and requires only the
> > setting of the socket option, one setsockopt() call.
>
> I'm not so happy with a FreeBSD-only "proprietary" thing.  Is there any
> proposed RFC work that provides the qualities you want?  The advantage
> with T/TCP is that there was a published standard.

Not for TCP.  There are plenty of proposed or approved replacements for
TCP though.  Implementing or importing them is a lot harder and applications
wanting to use it have to be extensively modified.

The nice thing of my proposed replacement is its simplicity.  Submitting
an RFC draft for that is not hard and I'm going to do it based on the
feedback I've got so far.  I think we can enough drive behind this to
make it an actual published RFC standard.

Don't worry.  I don't want to remove one intrusive piece of code just to
replace it with another one.

--
Andre