Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 02:21:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Christopher J Ceska <chris@u2.todiefor.com>
Cc:        Javier Henderson <javier@kjsl.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, Brian Mitchell <brian@firehouse.net>
Subject:   Re: Question

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Brian Mitchell wrote:

> > Christopher J Ceska writes:
> >
> >  > What would be a good method to have two servers run the same passwd file?
> >
> > 	Run VMS?
>
> well, kinda overkill when all the original posted needed is nis. To each
> his own, I suppose -- even delusional vms freaks.

So Chris, leaving aside this stuff, you really want to take a look at the
yp(4) manpage for one possible way to do what you desire.  This is the
Yellowpages/NIS service as thought of (I believe) by Sun -- it provides
distributed password, group files, as well as local modifications of them
specified in a wild-cardy kind of way.  Programs like passwd and chfn know
how to deal with it, so it doesn't have the implementation mess from the
point of view of users that a distributed file system solution can have.
On the other hand, there are some security issues involved (such as a lack
of cryptography support -- run this on trusted lans only).

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/
robert@fledge.watson.org   http://www.watson.org/~robert/