Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:42:44 -0600
From:      "Daryl Chance" <dchance@valuedata.net>
To:        "Assad Khan" <assad.khan@usa.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-VS-Linux---Some Venting from Linux's side!

I wasn't going to respond...i've completely ignored the FreeBSD vs Linux
thing because I don't care, I use what I like...but this caught my eye
for some reason.....

>Hi,
>
>    I have been seeing a FreeBSD-VS-Linux war on this mailing list and it
has
>disturbed me beyond tolerance. Which drove me to write this e-mail.
>
> First I want to tell everyone that I love everything thats opensource and
>free, that includes FreeBSD,Linux,OpenBSD and NetBSD. But my most loved OS
is
>Linux for the following reasons.
>  For its age Linux has gone farther than any other OS has, including
*BSD's.
>The BSD's have a history of 20+ years and you are trying to prove that its
>superior as compared to Linux? Give me a break! If they werent superior
even
>now, then they did not deserve to be used at all.

WTF is this supposed to mean?  Linux is newer and hyped more and everyone
has
jumped on the linux bandwagon.  Therefore, since BSD has been around longer
and
it's "hype" has died out, we're not to be deemed worthy of ever being
superior
against?  Christ.

Plus Linux was written from
>scratch, even though it was derived from Minix it did not contain any
foreign
>source code. While the BSD's contained actual AT&T code for quite some time
>and then they built upon that when they 'migrated' to 4.4BSD.

It was written from scratch...big deal.  What, the AT&T code that BSD
derived from
was handed down from God and said "hey, check this out...it's something I
whipped
up on that 7th day...you know, the one I was supposed to be resting on."

Linux has a more
>open model of developement as compared to any of the BSD's. With the
release
>of kernel 2.4.0 for Linux, its now an official gladiator in the arena of
>Enterprise computing (although it is already running one of the most
heavily
>visited sites namely google.com,freshmeat.net...).

More of an open model?  Sure theres no "commiters" list, but when submitting
kernel code for Linux, it would be the same thing as a non-commiter for BSD
submitting code.  Only (big) difference is that we don't send the code to 1
(or
2) people and hope that it gets included in the next version.  If I were to
make a patch, i'd send it in (or post to the hackers maling list for review)
and,
if liked, commited.  With (at least) FBSD, you more then likely have a
better chance
of getting the code commited then with linux(IMHO).

Microsoft hates Linux's
>guts while it seems to embrace the BSD's, for this reason alone is Linux
worth
>using!

no prob here, which is why i don't see the Linux vs BSD debate as worth my
time
to read :P.

>This discussion could go on without an end, but my point is not to prove
that
>Linux is better than FreeBSD or any other BSD but to say that Linux has
done
>much to improve and its BETTER than NT (for some of you falmers kind info).
>And watch out, Linux is fast improving and *very* soon the BSD's might seem
>redundant with Linux around!

Redundant....hmmm.

-
Daryl Chance       | And which parallel universe did
ValueData, LLC     | YOU crawl out of?
Memphis, TN        |      - http://www.thinkgeek.com