Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 04:44:43 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Chris Dritsas" <chrisquestions@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting hangs when "Recovering vi editor sessions"

Chris Dritsas <chrisquestions@hotmail.com> types:
> Good Day,
>
>   My system went down during a vi editor session on day (California energy
> crisis anyone?). Now, whenever I boot freeBSD, my system hangs:
>
>     starting standard daemons: cron.
>     Recovering vi editor sessions
>
> At this point, "Recovering vi editor sessions", my system hangs for some
> time. It finally loads and all seems well.
>
> I searched the system for the vi editor, could not find it to try and remove
> it.

vi is /usr/bin/vi, among other things. From the sound of things,
removing that won't fix the problem.

> I checked /stand/sysinstall to try and delete it from their, but I could not
> find it in there.
>
> Any ideas..?

It sounds like you've got a lot of vi recovery files that nobody has
bothered to claim. Remove the stuff in /var/tmp/vi.recover. Or at
least remove the stuff that's old. If there's nothing there, you've
got a more serious problem.

	<mike