Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 22:26:57 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
Cc:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@home.com>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: symlinking /var/mail to /usr/mail

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 10:03:47PM -0500, Ben Williams wrote:
> Quoting Crist J. Clark                                Saturday, April 01, 2000
> CJC> On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 07:08:23AM -0600, Chris Byrnes wrote:
> >> I am running out of space on /var, so I'd like to remove /var/mail,
> >> create /usr/mail, and create a symlink so /var/mail forwards to
> >> /usr/mail.
> >>
> >> I know how to do that and stuff, but I'm not sure what permissions /usr/mail
> >> should have and who should own it.
> >>
> >> Advice?
>
> CJC> Well, I think giving /usr/mail the same permissions and ownership as
> CJC> /var/mail would be a pretty safe way to go. In my case I would,
>
> CJC>   # mkdir /usr/mail
> CJC>   # chown root.mail /usr/mail
> CJC>   # chmod 775 /usr/mail
> CJC>   # kill `head -1 /var/run/sendmail.pid`
> CJC>   # tar cf - -C /var/mail . | tar xf - -C /usr/mail
> CJC>   # mv /var/mail /var/mail.old                      # just to be safe
> CJC>   # ln -s usr/mail /var/mail
> CJC>   # /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q30m
>
> CJC> And I think that would do it. Remove /var/mail.old when you verify
> CJC> everything got copied and is working fine.
>

>    Would it be better to change this somewhat:
> mkdir
> ch(own/mod)
> -- and now -stop- sendmail to avoid loosing data as tar runs        --
> --(will -HUP kill sendmail or cause it to re-read its config files?)--

On a HUP, it does die and also reads the config file. The present
sendmail process dies and a new sendmail is spawned that reads the new
config files. That's why I sent sendmail a TERM in the above
example.

However, thinking about it more, sendmail _loves_ to fork off copies
of itself. After killing the parent sendmail as shown above, check to
make sure there are no children still about. Wait for them to finish
whatever they are doing before continuing.

> mv
> ln -s /usr/mail /var/mail # watch that first / ;-)

Yep. I saw that typo after I sent the mail. That first slash is
important.