Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:21:24 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "FreeBSD Network List" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD IPFW List" <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FW: MS Shares through IPFW

FIXED !!!

Thanks to you all (Bill, Blair and Johnny) for your help.

It turns out the problem was not at the transport level at all (seriously
red face now!)

The login and password was the issue - Since the clients and server are not
on the same windows NT domain, the NT server was validating the login
against local users, not against users registered on the NT PDC.  I have had
a local user added to the NT server for the purpose of this connection,
given the user access to the share AND the NTFS directories and files, and
now it works just fine.

PS: I have tightened the firewall rules to:
> --------
> /sbin/ipfw -q add 00009 allow tcp from 10.5.5.0/24    to 10.3.3.240 139
> /sbin/ipfw -q add 00009 allow tcp from 10.3.3.240 139 to 10.5.5.0/24
> --------
and it works that way.  This might help the next person trying to do the
same thing...

I'm still getting DHCP stuff floating about, but I'm sure that is another
issue altogether...

Thanks again,
Patrick.