Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 21:57:11 -0800
From:      "David Fuchs" <beastie@beastie.net>
To:        "Freebsd Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: help with apache, and public_html directory

In your httpd.conf file, you should see something like this:

---------
# UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is received.
#
UserDir public_html
---------

If you want to allow users to have their own pages, just have them create
the directory "public_html" in their home directory.  To view the content on
the net, simply have them open a browser and set their address to
http://your.domain-or-ip.here/~username .   Make sure you use the ~ symbol
in before the username, or it won't work.

You can change the UserDir setting in httpd.conf to whatever you want, and
then have your users create a subdirectory by that name in their home
directory.  You will get forbidden messages and the like if you don't have
an index.html file in the directory or if the permissions are wrong,
rights/permissions MUST be executable (not necessarily readable) by all.
Example "chmod 755" will work, but so will "chmod 711".  I use "chmod 711"
to set permissions so that users can snoop in each other's directories.
(Please don't argue about this people... I know some of you are probably
gettin' that warm and fuzzy "I think what you're doing is WRONG" feeling
already...)  hahaha  j/k =)

Any more questions?  Need more clarification?  Send me a note and I'll get
back to you.

-David Fuchs