Date:      Fri, 06 Sep 2002 16:43:33 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        bsdneophyte@yahoo.com
Cc:        jonc@chen.org.nz, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: upgrading and updating .... extremely complicated for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
To: Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 12:03:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz> wrote:
(snip)
> In fact
> the Handbook recommends against it. If you're not comfortable with
> reading the stuff in the Handbook, perhaps you shouldn't be thinking of
> going with -stable.
>=20
> Going with -stable means you must be willing to read the instructions,
> and the Handbook is *THE* source. If you find any parts you don't
> understand, let us know.

okay... i do read the handbook... i refer to the handbook before ask
questions.  however, for me, a person who is not very technically
inclined, some things in the handbook are beyond me.

the handbook mentions that the make.conf file needs to be editied... but
it doesn't go into any detail like it did with how to modify the
kernel.generic file.  i've tried reading the small explanations in the
make.conf file itself, but most of it is beyond my comprehension.
[snip]
______________________________

It's really not that bad.  From your questions re the=20
kernel, I'm guessing you may have Linux experience,=20
which would give you a procedure to "un-learn" while=20
learning BSD.  (I'm in the process of installing=20
Linux for the first time after a couple of years with=20
FBSD, so I'm getting similar experiences.:)

Regarding /etc/make.conf, the simplest thing is to=20
copy /etc/defaults/make.conf to /etc.  Then all you=20
have to do to edit /etc/make.conf is to uncomment=20
the lines you want to use.  Which lines do you want=20
to use?  If you're unsure, don't uncomment anything.=20
The defaults should work.
_______________________________

it then goes to talk about /etc and /etc/group and how you need to make
sure that certain groups do exist that might be required for an upgrade.=20
how do you determine what groups need to exist?
_______________________________

I wouldn't worry too much about that.  Changes in=20
that file can be taken care of using mergemaster, IIRC.
_______________________________

it then talks about mergemaster... what's mergemaster?  the man pages says
it's some tool to help update certain configuration files... but i'm still
unsure on how to use it.
_______________________________

When the handbook tells you to use mergemaster, you=20
just type "mergemaster" (no quotes) at the prompt. =20
Mergemaster presents you with the choice to install,
delete, "merge," or leave for later various new files.=20
(If you don't see that choice, you can page through=20
the file using the spacebar until you do see it.) =20
You'll want to install most new files.  However, for=20
those such as /etc/group, or involving passwords,=20
you'll want to do a merge.

When you select merge, you'll be given lines from the=20
new file on one side (I think it's the right) and=20
lines from the old file on the other side.  You just=20
type "l" or "r" depending on whether you want the old=20
or new line to be included in the merged file. =20
You'll want mostly new lines, but if you see that a=20
line in a password file or /etc/group, for example,=20
would replace your username or password with a blank=20
line or a generic entry, then select the old line.
_______________________________

okay there is mention that one shouldn't use make world anymore... that
make buildworld is prefered... but when i try that i get the following
error codes:
[snip]
i mean that entire process... everything on the section is beyond me.=20
Greg Lehey's version of updating seems much more simple, but even that's
giving these error codes.  i prefer to use the handbook's version because
it's more recent.
_______________________________

That's just fine (though I'm sure it doesn't seem=20
quite so fine to you).  You don't necessarily need to=20
update right now.  Maybe try doing some more reading=20
in Greg Lehey's book, the handbook, and these lists. =20
Google Groups searches are great tools for exploring
past threads in these lists on subjects that interest
you.  Also try the man pages, either on your system or
online.  Just using the FreeBSD system you have now
will help you feel more comfortable and less
intimidated.

Hope this helps - if you have more questions, look at
the FAQs, the Handbook, Greg's book, Google Groups,
and of course ask the list.  :)

Jud