Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 14:36:07 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        mavery@mail.otherwhen.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

At 12:39 PM 5/5/99 -0500, Mike Avery wrote:

 >Yeah - we've all been in battles where the lesser solution won
>because the boss liked the company that sold it better.  Sadly, as you
>get older, you'll understand where the boss is coming from.  The boss
>has to defend purchase decisions to people further up the chain...
>people who understand even less than the boss does.

A very good point! FreeBSD needs to break the "Pointy-Haired Boss Barrier."

 >> You've got to get a native port AND a FreeBSD-knowledgeable
> > support staff at the application vendor's site that pushes FreeBSD's
> > cause. This means NUMBERS, and this in turn means evangelism.
>
>There's a big hurdle in itself - how do you get the numbers?  No, not
>"how do you get people to try and use FreeBSD" but "how do you get
>numbers of systems in use that the boss and developers can buy
>into?"

This question is key, and gives a hint as to what the most effective
strategies are. Strategies with linear returns aren't enough; they
must trigger INCREASING returns. Evangelistic strategies -- i.e.
strategies which cause converts to further propagate the message --
always win over non-evangelistic strategies.

>   Linux had the same problem.  The first step for them was the
>distribution houses making money on the product.  The next step, and
>it was a big one in terms of credibility, was when the RedHat's, the
>Caldera's, and the SuSe's got shelf space in BestBuy, OfficeDepot,
>and other mass market outlets.  These trends generated numbers
>people could point to untis sold, not just downloaded and installed.

That's the idea. Positive feedback.

--Brett Glass