Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:39:57 +0100
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Zhang Shu <zhang@koganei.wide.ad.jp>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot process is too slow during installation

Zhang Shu <zhang@koganei.wide.ad.jp> writes:
> When I install netbsd with the same floppy drive, it turns to be pretty
> fast. So I guess this is a FreeBSD problem but do not know where it is...

FreeBSD's boot code reads the disk sector by sector rather than track
by track.  Last time I brought this up I was told that "it doesn't
matter on modern drives"...  I wouldn't be surprised if track-by-track
turns out to be 18 times faster than sector-by-sector with USB drives.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no