Date:      21 Nov 2001 14:18:50 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

"Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com> writes:

> Gary writes:
>
> > It doesn't have lots of useful stuff on it.
>
> Neither does a GUI, unless you count icons, title bars, and frames with shading
> and highlights and milky sparkling opalescence.

I don't count most.  My GUI has none of those things except narrow frames
and title bars which shown things like current directory, current file
being edited, and other moderately useful stuff like window/application name.

> That one inch sure seems to cover a lot of ground!

Well, 0.85 x 8.3, to be more precise.  Even with a useless clock and
room to spare (99% of the time).  Round clock, date,
load+CPU+mem+swap+paging monitors, button-bar, space, screen-pager box.

> and I can just open multiple ssh sessions on my Windows machine if I want to do
> several things at once.

Oh, I see.  That's like a typical Unix console which allows you to
switch between multiple "virtual terminals" or use of the "screen"
command which does a similar thing if you can't use virtual terminals.
But at least you have the benefits of Windows.

You might find "screen" helpful, but I'm not sure.  ports/misc/screen

> I don't suppose there is any way of cleaning up the mess after installation of a
> window manager, is there?

What we call window managers don't leave a mess, AFAIK.  KDE (and
probably GNOME) (which we (?) call "desktop managers" or "desktop
systems") do use a lot of config-related files.  As for reasons, I
can only say that various designers have various schemes of organizing
data.  Many people like to use the filesystem as part of their data
structures for a number of good and bad reasons I won't bother with.
As for fixing KDE's mess, I can only remember removing one big/deep
directory.