Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 22:51:09 +0200
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        "Lawrence Cotnam Jr." <larry@pkunk.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: No help...

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Lawrence Cotnam Jr. wrote:
> I'm most disappointed.  I've been running FreeBSD since version 2, and in
> all this time I've never experience the total lack of any assistance from
> the userbase.  In the past, I've received good advice and help regarding
> FreeBSD-small for embedded systems, which my company has used for our
> embedded server product.  But now... In the past 3 months, I've posted two
> very serious issues I've experienced and the first issue, regarding Bus
> Mastering SiS 5591 PCI IDE controller going into UDMA mode receive *ZERO*
> replies.  Nothing.  And now... my troubles with a 3COM 3C509 NIC has
> received one (rather useless, but thank you Julian.  I appreciate your
> input, even if it had nothing to do with the problem) reply.  This is just
> so disappointing.  I've been using this operating system for about 5 years
> and I used to love it.  The support used to be wonderful.  The hardware
> support used to be wonderful.  Now... its not.  I can't get any of you folks
> to so much as offer any suggestions (excepting Julian) to my questions, even
> when I supply ample information regarding the problem, and attempted
> solutions.  I've jumped ship.
>
> After 10 hours of hard work, I successfully migrated my entire server to
> Debian Linux, which I must say, the legacy hardware support is there.  Like
> FreeBSD used to be.  I wish you all well, but I won't be back with FreeBSD
> any time soon.  Not only has the eroding legacy hardware support been a
> great disappointment, the lack of any userbase input regarding my troubles
> with such legacy hardware has been even more disappointing.  I sorrows me to
> have to file away 5 years of know how and experience with this what used to
> be wonderful operating system, but the support is gone, the legacy drivers
> are flaky at best.
>
> Lawrence Cotnam Jr.
> (775) 337-2536
> email: larry@pkunk.net

I am really sorry about the lack of support we have all provided you with and
will be returning your check just as soon as I get it ..............

to all the developers and other people who help and contribute to
these  lists please don't let this old sourpuss get you down, I still think
you're all wonderful.

Mark Rowlands  +4686224510  GMT + 1