Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 23:00:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Nguyen-Tuong Long Le <le@cs.unc.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Nguyen-Tuong Long Le <le@cs.unc.edu>
Subject:   Re: Problem with SYN cache in FreeBSD 4.5

Hi,

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, jayanth wrote:
>
> > Can you dump the output of  netstat -s -p tcp  ?
> > Checking for listen queue overflows and syncache bucket overflows.
> >
> > jayanth

Here is the output of "netstat -s -p tcp".

tcp:
        264136 packets sent
                104124 data packets (127937368 bytes)
                286 data packets (344573 bytes) retransmitted
                0 resends initiated by MTU discovery
                147203 ack-only packets (127 delayed)
                0 URG only packets
                2 window probe packets
                3 window update packets
                12518 control packets
        747675 packets received
                85799 acks (for 127931017 bytes)
                3247 duplicate acks
                0 acks for unsent data
                83750 packets (11689418 bytes) received in-sequence
                89 completely duplicate packets (5552 bytes)
                0 old duplicate packets
                0 packets with some dup. data (0 bytes duped)
                2 out-of-order packets (796 bytes)
                0 packets (0 bytes) of data after window
                0 window probes
                30312 window update packets
                0 packets received after close
                0 discarded for bad checksums
                0 discarded for bad header offset fields
                0 discarded because packet too short
        14 connection requests
        17243 connection accepts
        372055 bad connection attempts
        87501 listen queue overflows
        17257 connections established (including accepts)
        16695 connections closed (including 1 drop)
                830 connections updated cached RTT on close
                830 connections updated cached RTT variance on close
                178 connections updated cached ssthresh on close
        0 embryonic connections dropped
        85798 segments updated rtt (of 50455 attempts)
        201 retransmit timeouts
                0 connections dropped by rexmit timeout
        0 persist timeouts
                0 connections dropped by persist timeout
        0 keepalive timeouts
                0 keepalive probes sent
                0 connections dropped by keepalive
        376 correct ACK header predictions
        61279 correct data packet header predictions
        104747 syncache entries added
                189 retransmitted
                285 dupsyn
                0 dropped
                17243 completed
                0 bucket overflow
                0 cache overflow
                3 reset
                0 stale
                87501 aborted
                0 badack
                0 unreach
                0 zone failures
        0 cookies sent
        0 cookies received

> And "netstat -La" too, please.  I'm interested in if you're accepting
> sockets fast enough.

Here is the output of "netstat -La"

Current listen queue sizes (qlen/incqlen/maxqlen)
Proto Listen         Local Address
tcp4  3/0/8192       *.6789

I wonder why the listen queue overflows when there are so few
connections in the queue. The number of listen queue overflows
is equal to the number of syncache aborts. Is it a coincidence
or are they related?

Thanks,
-- long