Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:56:02 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: log with dynamic firewall rules

Ah, well this shows my patchy knowledge.  I didn't even know about
ipf until I read your post.  I'll go read the man pages.

Would running both ipfw and ipf be considered over the top?

Darren Reed wrote:

> ah, you've stumbled across that one :)
>
> pass in log first ... keep state
>
> is what you would do in IP Filter :-)  Remember, that there may be some
> situations where you want to log them all.  On top of that, you can just
> leave out "log" from the filter rule and use the state log instead.
>
> You know, in half the time you've spent toying with ipfw you could have
> had ipfilter working and not had to patch the source O:-)
>
> It seems the "statefulness" of ipfw is much more complex than it should be.
>
> Darren

Stephen Montgomery-Smith
Department of Mathematics, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211
Phone 573-882-4540, fax 573-882-1869
http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen  stephen@math.missouri.edu