Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 21:21:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
To:        Sean Batson <valtech@caribnet.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: defrags

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Sean Batson wrote:

> How is fragmentation dealt with under FreeBSD?
> Is there a utility for defragmenting the Hard Drive?
>
> The following is summary of my start up showing my disk:
>
> /dev/rwd0a: clean 8604 free (108 frags, 2124 blocks, 0.7% fragmentation)
> /dev/rwd0s2f: clean 21384 free (148 frags, 5309 blocks, 0.1% fragmentation)
> /dev/rwd0s2e: clean 12934 free (70 frags, 3216 blocks, 0.5% fragmentation)
>
> How do i defrag the above partitions?
>
> Sean Batson.

Not being a file system guru (Terry, feel free to jump in any time) I
can't give you a very in-depth explanation but I can say that FreeBSD
has  a more intelligent file system than MSDOS and doesn't have the
fragmentation problems DOS has. Why would you even want to defrag file
systems with a fraction of 1 percent fragmentation anyway?

Frank
--
Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a
draft dodger sleeps in the White House.    <unknown>