Date:      27 Oct 2000 23:53:21 -0000
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        GERRYGM@aol.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard drive, read only

GERRYGM@aol.com writes:
| Hi,
| I was given a Gateway 2000 Colorbook, with FreeBSD, the guy that gave it to
| me does not remember the root password.

You can boot the machine in single user mode, mount all your disks and
run the command:

    # vipw

This will let you clear the current root password.  Then you can log
into the system and set whatever root password you like.

| I have the FreeBSD Ver.3.2. When I tried to use Partition Magic it
| said the drive is read only.

This is probably because Partition Magic does not know about FreeBSD
partitions, and it refuses to touch them.

- giorgos