Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 12:32:11 GMT
From:      Steve Ames <steve@cioeserv.cioe.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lpd slow?

I just started lpd on my freebsd almost current system. When i use
lpr to print a small sample file (say /etc/rc for instance) it prints
it but it is _SLOW_. It took almost an hour to print the file. I'm
printing to a panason kxp-2135 printer (which is dot-matrix). Still,
its not that slow a printer.

Anyone have any clues on this? I'm not starting lpd with any command line
options and my /etc/printcap file looks thustly:

-----printcap----
#	@(#)printcap	5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90

lp|local line printer:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
which is the default, uncommented (and using /dev/lpt0 instead of /dev/lp).

All help appreciated, nat.

					-Steve