Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:11:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        Jeff.Kreska@MCI.Com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940UW

> Here is the output from a boot that caueses the last device in the SCSI
> chain to be disabeled.If I go into the SCSI Bios and disable wide
> negotiation for the CD and DAT all works fine.  It seems odd that I
> would have to do this, and it could be a burden if I connected a wide
> device to the bus and forgot to go re-enable wide negotiation.

[...]

> (ahc0:0:0): "HP C3325A 5293" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 2069MB (4238836 512 byte sectors)
> ahc0:A:2: refuses WIDE negotiation.  Using 8bit transfers
> (ahc0:2:0): "ARCHIVE Python 25501-XXX 2.50" type 1 removable SCSI 2
> st0(ahc0:2:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x13, 512-byte blocks,
> write-enabled
> ahc0:A:4: refuses WIDE negotiation.  Using 8bit transfers

What device is at ID 4?  Can you boot verbose (-v)?

Some older SCSI devices will choke on a wide negotiation message, so
it does become necessary to disable it for that device.  What happens if
you disable wide negotiation on the Archive only?  Does the unit at
ID 4 still choke?  I would think that whatever is at ID 4 just cannot
handle a wide negotiation attempt.

I don't understand your statement "if I connected a wide device to the
bus and forgot to re-enable wide negotation".  If you've got narrow
devices on the bus, set them for non-wide and set all the unused IDs
for wide.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org