Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 00:19:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        jonc@pinnacle.co.nz (Jonathan Chen)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is running out of time

Jonathan Chen said:

> 	Will/Should the solution be backward-compatible with all the
> 	FreeBSD FFS already created out there?
>
> 	Will we still be using FFS?

Two good questions, and lead to the position that I am taking.  A
difference of a year or two for the solution is probably not that
big a deal.  It would be a good thing to structurally update FFS
and add nice features (like placement policy and finer grained
consistancy control.)  The indirect block (mis?)feature (good for
the past, but maybe not for the future) is another thing to
look at.

I am not suggesting that a new filesystem is needed today, but
it will be needed (or valuable) someday soon.  There is alot of
experience on filesystem usage, and I suspect that some improvements
could be valuable.  What is the threshold for the cost/benefit, and
are we close to it?  (I don't really know -- this is rhetorical.)

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid