Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 01:52:23 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is compatibility for old aout binaries broken?

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 03:57:07AM -0500, Donald J . Maddox wrote:
> Looks like you got a lot farther than I did with it...  Are you
> sure you don't have an old aout ld.so on that machine?

Nope.  This is a box that was a virgin install of 5-CURRENT a month ago.
I had to install the compat20 and compat21 dists, along with doing a
``pkg_add -r XFree86-aoutlibs''.  The Tk is 8.0.5.

> Here's what I get:
>
> >dmaddox> SimCity
> Starting SimCity ...
> SimCity Classic - UNIX / Tcl & Tk Toolkit version 3.6b - Mattes
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "___error" called from sim:/usr/X11R6/lib/aout/libX11.so.6.1 at 0x20160644

Actually you're probably getting farther than I am.  I believe I'm
bombing so early in starting Tk, I'm not really getting to the point you
are.  What does `ldd /usr/local/lib/SimCity/res/sim'' report?

> Also, it looks to me like SimCity would probably run just
> fine for you if you started X on an 8-bit display...

Maybe, but I'm not going to dink with my X server config. ;-)
Mabye I'll try to find another box to try this on.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX