Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 19:02:36 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java and libc/libpthread

It looks like my previous attempt a replying to this got botched.

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 07:22:35PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> FWIW, I don't see our libpthread from deviating too much from
> the POSIX spec.  I would like it to be as compliant as possible,
> including the way signals are handled in a multi-threaded
> environment.  I know that Linux remaps SIGCHLD to SIGUSR[1 or 2?],
> and I hope that would not be necessary for FreeBSD.

Signals in the JVM are largely a technical side noted that is ignored
so it's not a critical part of the JVM and can be largely ignored.

Threading on the other hand is much more important. Condition variables,
mutexes, etc.. are all used extensively in the JVM and they must work
exactly as expected.

> What is BSDIs threading model?  You mentioned SIGALRM-based threads
> earlier and to me that meant it was similar to our current libc_r
> (which uses SIGPROF now).
>
> Dan Eischen

The technical issues are exactly the same as any userspace threading
library (shoving crap into poll(), etc...).

I just looked our library last night and I'm setting up my old
FreeBSD box (cvsup, etc..) so that I can look at the pthread stuff
on your end and report back.

;-)

bill