Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:51:32 -0500
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Please Help! How to STOP them...

On Friday January 12, 2007 at 04:54:37 (PM) Reko Turja wrote:

> >I am reading many hundred lines similar to below mentioned?
> >
> > Could you please advise me what to do and how can I make my box more
> > secure?
> >
> > Jan  9 17:54:42 localhost sshd[5130]: reverse mapping checking
> > getaddrinfo
> > for bbs-83-179.189.218.on-nets.com [218.189.179.83] failed -
> > POSSIBLE
> > BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!
> > Jan  9 17:54:42 localhost sshd[5130]: Invalid user sysadmin from
> > 218.189.179.83
>
> It's basically just script kiddies trying to get in using some ready
> made user/password pairs.
>
> Lots of info covering this has been posted in these newsgroups
> previously, but some things you might consider
>
> Moving your sshd port somewhere else than 22 - the prepackaged
> "cracking" programs don't scan ports, just blindly try out the default
> port - with determined/skilled attacker it's different matter entirely
> though.

Security through Obscurity is not true security at all. You are simply
assuming that other ports are not being scanned.

> Use some kind of portblocker (lots in ports tree) which closes the
> port after predetermined number of attempts - or as an alternative,
> use PF to close the port for IP's in question after predetermined
> number of connection attempts in given time.
>
> Use key based authentication and stop using passwords altogether.

A very secure method. I would recommend this along with making sure your
firewall is properly configured and all unnecessary ports closed, etc.

--
Gerard

For GOOGLE (L)Users:

"RAM Disk" is not an installation procedure.