Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:49:59 +0200
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec@42.org>, Florent Thoumie <flz@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/109497: x11-servers/xorg-fontserver rc.d/xfs.sh script missing "-user"

On Wednesday 18 of April 2007, Stefan `Sec` Zehl wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 22:31 +0100, Florent Thoumie wrote:
> > Stefan `Sec` Zehl wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Please note that if you set "xfs_user=" to something, the default
> > > rc.subr will already try to do something with it, and (silently) fail
> > > to start xfs at all. I do think fixing this would be more user friendly
> > > -- besides, its only a two-line patch anyway, and it doesn't even
> > > change the default of running as root.
> > >
> > > But if think it's important to refuse this change, I can certainly live
> > > without that patch.
> >
> > This is not what I said, please re-read my message.
>
> Ok. I did.
>
> As far as I can tell, your message had two points.
>
> 1: Others run it as root.
> 2: I can run it as non-root if I want to by using xfs_flags=...
>
> If that isn't what you said, please rephrase, as I must have
> misunderstood you. Please be patient, as english is not my native
> language. Therefore let me also rephrase my last answer.
>
> First regarding your two points:
>
> re 1:
> - I'm not asking to change the default. So what other OSs run it as is
>   not relevant.
>
> re 2:
> - If you still want to reject the patch I sent, I can live with it as
>   users searching for it will hopefully find the workaround documented
>   in this PR.
>
> My additional points I was trying to make:
>
> - If someone currently sets "xfs_user=" in rc.conf, this makes xfs fail
>   silently. I think it would be great if it instead would just work.

It certainly should not fail silently if someone has unsupported option in
rc.conf. If this is the case it should be fixed. But note that we are rather
busy trying to get xorg 7.2 into ports so if you could try the script again
after the upgrade and if it fails bring it up again then, that would be
lovely.

> - It is only two lines, so no bloat, and it won't hurt anyone.

It's not so much the number of lines - it's rather that it seems this option
is not that commonly used and that there already is a mechanism to do that
with existing options (namely xfs_flags).

> Hope that clears it up,

Well, it rather confuses me :-) I didn't expect the thing to fail if you set
some option that the script does not even look at, but yes, it does clear up
your problem.

Dejan