Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 21:55:07 -0700
From:      Gregory Carvalho <GregoryC@stcinc.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with tar

I've answered in the body below.

BTW, I'm anxiously waiting fo receive the next edition of your book from
Walnut Creek (who are actually right around the corner).

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Saturday, 19 June 1999 at 18:38:36 -0700, Gregory Carvalho wrote:
> > /root, /bin, /sbin and the other root directorys are not restoring when
> > tar -xvz is issued:(
> >
> > Two objectives for the restore: test a disaster recovery scenario,
> > expand partition sizes.
> >
> > First I used dd to overwrite the beginning of the 18GB drive (which had
> > FreeBSD 3.1 Release). I then used the FreeBSD 3.1 Release CDROM to load
> > FreeBSD. I used Novice, and configured very little (partitions and
> > mouse).
> >
> > The following entry in crontab was used to backup on DDS3 DAT for a
> > couple of weeks prior to using dd:
> > 30    2       *       *       2-6     root    /usr/bin/tar -cvz /
>
> You don't need the -z option on DDS3.  The tape compression does just
> as good a job, and it may speed things up.

I'll drop z from the command word.

> > The mail generated by the backup appeared good (although I am
> > uncertain whether /root or the others were in the list).
>
> It looks as if you should have kept the mail messages.

The mail message certainly had /wpmacros as well as other WordPerfect
directories. They were listed at the end of the cron result message.
Yes, I should have copied them to another machine, ouch.

> > I tried to use tar -xvpz from /, but the root dirs did not get
> > restored.
>
> What happened?  Nothing?

/etc was restored. crontab has the tar command I entered. Samba and
Hylafax are functional upon restore. /usr was fully restored (from the
sampling I have reviewed).

> > tar -tvz displays entries from: /dev, /stand, /etc. It does not show
> > those mentioned above. In addition I installed WordPerfect 8 for Linux,
> > which created a dir named /wpmacros. The directory definetly was listed
> > in the mail results from cron. /wpmacros was not restored nor listed in
> > -tvz.
>
> It looks to me as if you overwrote your tapes.  The command you're
> using is OK.

The Thursday tape was ran at 2:30am on Friday. Friday3 was ran at 2:30am
on Saturday (today).

> > I am soliciting suggestions on how to restore the dirs. If it is not
> > possible with the create command I issued, then please let me know
> > the command. If the command I need to issue is something I have not
> > mentioned here to extract the dirs, please let me know what the
> > command is.
>
> > In God I Trust!
>
> Maybe that's your solution.  I don't think anybody else can help much.

It is my solution. And FreeBSD is my solution to my client's computing
needs, hence my concern.