Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 12:45:35 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        tnaggs@cddotdot.mikom.csir.co.za (Anthony Naggs)
Cc:        marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP!!! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY (fwd)

Anthony Naggs stands accused of saying:
> For DOS machines there seem to be two products in use.  The first being
> Disk Manager, which can either:

Thanks for the summary.  You appear to be somewhat familiar with these
suckers; can you offer any details on their respective disk layouts in
mode 2. (below for reference) and possibly signatures for detecting them?

> 2.	Loads from the MBR, installs itself in memory in the Int 13h chain
> 	and handles the LBA addressing "transparently".  Confusion comes
> 	from the requirement to set a small hard drive size in the CMOS
> 	setup.  (Currently shipped on Maxtor IDE hard drives >504Mb.)

(Disk Manager is also shipped with Western Digital drives)

> The other product is Micro House's EZ-Drive, which does much the same thing
> but only works in the second mode described above.  (Currently shipped on
> Seagate drives >504Mb.)

EZ-Drive appears to also be shipped with Conner drives; PHK, I have/can get
a copy of this for you if that's useful.

> Anthony Naggs	- Computer Security & Anti-Virus Engineer, CSIR, South Africa

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[