Date:      08 Aug 2002 13:02:56 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        "Cliff" <cliff@travelguides.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cron running scripts

"Cliff" <cliff@travelguides.com> writes:

| I have a perl script that is run every night to backup some directories. The
| output from the scripts says it completed fine, but nothing is actually
| output. When I run the script manually it produces the same output, but it
| actually writes the backup files. Why doesn't cron running the script do
| this?

So it's supposed to generate some backup files, but when it's run from the
crontab, it doesn't work.

There are several possibilities, but what this boils down to is that you need
to do more error checking in your script to find out what's wrong.

     *  Is the file being opened successfully?
     *  Where is it?
     *  Does it have the proper permissions?
     *  Is it closed properly when the program's done?
     *  Is it writing the appropriate data?  Maybe there's nothing to output
        based on its input.

Good luck with that.  If you want me to take a look at the script, I'm willing.