Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:28:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dennis White <dennywhite@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pccard lan card speed problems

Can access Internet & email & local area network including
scp but my download speeds on the Internet are really slow.
Originally, when I installed freebsd on the laptop, it had my
Linksys 10/100 pccard running on ed1. I was told that was
wrong, so I went into the kernel config & changed to ed0
under PCI Ethernet NICs & recompiled the kernel. Also,
when it was still using ed1, it didn't work right when I was
using the following firewall rules:

add 00400 allow udp from 24.116.0.81 to any in recv ed1
add 00401 allow udp from 24.116.0.201 to any in recv ed1

but now the firewall rules work fine with ed1 changed to ed0.
Since making the change to ed0,  all of the above ability to
access is still the same. Unfortunately, the bad speed is still
the same too. Below are portions of my dmesg output &
ifconfig ed0:
--------
ed0 at port 0x300-0x31f irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0
ed0: address 00:e0:98:8a:a1:fc, type Linksys (16 bit)
ed0: DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address
fe80:000a::02e0:98ff:fe8a:a1fc:1
NS, 0 NA
ed0: DAD complete for fe80:000a::02e0:98ff:fe8a:a1fc - duplicate
found
ed0: manual intervention required
--------
ed0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
 inet6 fe80::2e0:98ff:fe8a:a1fc%ed0 prefixlen 64 duplicated
scopeid 0xa
 inet 192.168.1.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
 ether 00:e0:98:8a:a1:fc
--------
All 3 of my computers are going to a Netgear hub, on to a
Linksys router/firewall box, & then to the cable modem. Neither
the windows machine or the slackware linux box have any Internet
speed problems. Can someone help me decypher the above messages
& maybe point me in the right direction as to what to read to
solve this problem? I was wondering if the duplex was wrong on
the pccard, that is maybe only running at half-duplex, but then
I read in one of the news groups that if you're running through
a hub, that's the way it has to be anyway.
Thanks for all help.

=====
dennywhite@yahoo.com
ICQ# 759271