Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 11:51:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        JMS Internet <webmaster@jmsinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server Slowdown

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, JMS Internet wrote:

> 	I have been experiencing slow download times with my co-located server...
> After changing out my HD, network card, and adding memory I have not seen much
> improvement at all.  But, after adjusting different Apache settings (max
> users, max keep
> alives, etc.) I have noticed a change of approximately 600kbps of transfer
> higher then
> my original settings.  What I would like to know is if anyone has
> experienced these types
> of problems, or if anyone is willing to give me advice on httpd.conf fine
> tuning.  My server
> currently transfers approximately 30 gigs a day, and is only using
> approximately 30% of
> it's allocated line.  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated... I have
> no idea where to turn
> at this point..

30 gigs a day is pretty nice, but i'm sure we can do better. :)

More helpful would be :

the exact configuration (ram, netcard, cpu, disks)
a snapshot or two from "top" and "systat -vmstat"
what is your current peak transfer rate?
are you sure there is more than 30gigs/day demanded?

-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]
systems administrator and programmer
    Win Telecom - http://www.wintelcom.net/