Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 09:38:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      <stanb@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   A Tae of similar machine, but oone won't booot after install

	I am setting up 4 recycled HP Vectras for use at work. Sure is nice m$
	keeps providing me with free computers, as they get more and more
	resource hungr :-)

	3 of them are P75's, and 1 is a P90 The P75'a have BIOS'es
	D.08.01,D.06.03, and D.08.03. I am isntalling brand new Quantam 20G IDE
	drives as the only thing on the IDE busses (No CD's).

	When I look in Setup on all the P75's, I see that they are detecting
	the disks as 8468MB 16383/63/16 preload -116382 Ther is an XL flag
	which is on on some, and off on oters.

	All these machines boot fine after I do an install (from the hard
	disks). The P90 however I have been unable to get to boot after
	repeated installs :-(

	It Has BIOS version GT.07.02. The setup screen here has many more
	options related to hard disk. First It wan'ts to know if I want to use
	"Standard" or,"Extended" transfer methi\od. Rhere is a note that
	"Standard" might need to be used on "UNIX" systems, I think this might
	mean SCO. This option is gloabal to all the IDE controlers/disks on the
	machine.

	On a per disk bassis, the choces are:

	Multi Sector Transfers: disable/2/4/8/16
	LBA mode control enabled/disabled
	32 bit I/O Enabled/Disbaled
	Transfer mode standard/Fast Pio 1,2,3, or 4

	Considering it takes about 30 to 45 minutes to do a minimal install to
	test each choice, and that there are a lareg number of choices :-( I
	could be here a while (days ?).

	Can some kkind soul that understands the hardware issues here, pleas
	educate me?

	Thanks!

--
Stan Brown     stanb@panix.com                                    843-745-3154