Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 08:40:37 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org (Jamil J. Weatherbee)
Subject:   Re: i refuse to spend the $$$

As Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:

> Can someone explain the real difference between an audio CD and a data CD?
> I seen mentions of things like "jitter correction" etc. that I don't
> really understand, I have a somewhat decent grip on data cd's but as for
> audio --- are these made differently or what?

Sorry to beat on you: but if you don't even know details, why are you
starting to whine then that FreeBSD doesn't do this and FreeBSD
doesn't do that?

The difference is that lousy drives tend to lose track every now and
then.  For CD-ROM data, this can be compensated, since part of the
redundant data (only 2048 bytes of data have to be obtained out of
2352 bytes per CD block) is a block sequence number, so once you've
lost track, you simply wait until the desired block passes the laser
again.  For CD-DA, all 2352 bytes are user data, so once the drive
lost track, it has to guess where to start again.

Also, as you can see above, the redundancy in CD-ROM data allows for a
fair amount of ECC error correction (298 ECC bytes per block), so even
larger damages can be compensated completely.  With CD-DA, only the
lower-level error correction is available (Reed-Solomon, IIRC),
potentially returning you slightly erroneous data.  Yet another reason
for why you need a high-quality drive if you're going into digitally
processed CD-DA.

Perhaps you know understand why those few people who have been working
on CD-DA by now (Charles Henrich, Amancio Hasty etc.) did concentrate
on SCSI first.

--
cheers, J"org