Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:13:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        randy@psg.com (Randy Bush)
Cc:        gaylord@gaylord.async.vt.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd and syslog.conf

> > there are potentially non-system routines that will break with this "fix".
>
> this is the point that worries me.  a change is being proposed in a data
> file, and it is being assumed that syslogd(8) is the only program which
> reads that file.  as syslog.conf(5) has been documented publicly, i would be
> more cautious about changing the definition, for mere cosmetic not emergency
> reasons, without widely published warning well in advance.
>
> randy

Nothing is supposed to use syslog.conf.
It's the syslogd's config file.

I haven't seen any program using syslog.conf rather than syslogd.
(If you know any - let me know, and if you can, please provide
with the reason why it should be using that config file.)

Anyhow, proposed patch should also patch the syslog.conf(5) man page.

Igor