Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 17:12:24 -0500
From:      "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Power Outages And Missing Tree Limbs...

Greetings...

	I have two missives for the list today, a good and a not-so-good.

	(1) We had a power outage yesterday that lasted about two hours
longer than our 8 hour batteries did :(   and I'm happy to report that of
the 15
odd machines running 2.2.5R, only 1 suffered any file systems damage when
the (unexpected) end finally came (fsck compained about "missing/corrupted
bitmaps").

	  To put that into perspective: 1 SVR4 machine was totaled, 2 were
seriously damaged enough to require reloading anyway, and I'm nervous about
the rest of them
(6 more).  In my experience (15++ years) this is about average for *nix
crashes, so I'm
* VERY *  impressed with FBSD's "survivability"!  Thank you.  FBSD just
became our
*nix standard.

(2) 	As part of our new standard, I decided to load up Apache today, and I
see it
has fallen off the ports tree?  It is NOT in the www ports, and I am unable
to find it (or
a tarball) on the standard freebsd ftp sites.  Where did it go???

Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org