Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 00:38:42 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

>As Chris Csanady wrote:
>
>> Just a thought, but what about using some sort of generic frame
>> buffer driver in the kernel.  I dont think it should be the
>> responsibility of the Xserver or anything else to twiddle with the
>> cards settings directly.  The kernel would just need to know a few
>> card specific things about setting timings, etc.
>
>Basically: Yes!
>
>However: have you ever counted the number of hardware-dependant code
>lines in XFree86?  No?  Then you don't know what you're talking
>about. :~)  Last time i counted, we spoke about some 200+ Klines of C
>code. :-O

Others have mentioned that a frame buffer would be really slow, but that
really wasn't my intention, I should have explained a little better.  It
seems I misused the term frame buffer.. what I was trying to get at was
the seperation of the code that sets the state of the graphics card, and
the code that uses it, with drawing, acceleration or whatever else.

There would be a generic graphics driver of sorts, that is primarily
concerned with setting the state of the graphics board.  I dont know the
specifics, but what I see is a kernel module for each of the cards that
implements a certain set of functions that set the state.  These would
be well defined by the generic driver interface, and called when
necessary to switch resolutions, etc.

If such a standard interface were to be implemented in the X server, I
think it would make it easy to creat kernel modules for this.  I could
be wrong, but it seems to me it would just be moving some code around,
and it would benefit everyone.  I think that this would be much easier
than designing a generic acceleration and stuff the whole driver in the
kernel, but would include most of the important benefits.

I suppose this belongs on an XFree newsgroup or something..

Laters,
Chris