Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:10:19 +0100
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>, Tuc <tuc@ttsg.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP of 4.7 only?

On Friday 21 February 2003 03:16 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Friday 21 February 2003 06:08 am, Tuc wrote:
> > Hi,
> > =09I have :
> > *default release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELENG_4
> >
> > =09in my stable-supfile, and on one machine all of a sudden on the la=
st
> > update I have :
> >
> > FreeBSD vjofn.ttsg.com 4.8-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.8-PRERELEASE #1: Thu
> > Feb 20 13:5 2:11 EST 2003   =20
> > root@vjofn.ttsg.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VJOFN  i386
> >
> > =09Heres my problem. I've been CVSUPing machines with RELENG_4, is
> > there a way I can continue only with the 4.7 tree? I tried :
> >
> > *default release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELENG_4_7

That is correct to continue with the 4.7 release branch.  See below

> > =09and it looked like it was re-checking out everything.

> That is what it was doing. You were checking out 4.7-release plus=20
> security fixes.=20
correct.  Tuc, you were in essence reverting to 4.7 release plus the secu=
rity=20
fixes, which is behind in the development tree from 4-stable (4.x) which =
is=20
rapidly approaching 4.8-release.

> > Does that mean
> > it was getting 4.7 as it was first released,

No, it is the release branch.  It is possible to get it as it was first=20
released with a different tag, but why would you unless one of the securi=
ty=20
fixes broke something for you?

>> and when I did
> > "RELENG_4" it was 4.X as current as it was?=20

yes

> > Is there another tag for
> > "4.7 most current"?

>There is no more 4.7 most current.=20

Kent, that is not correct.  That is what the release branch *is*.  4.7 re=
lease=20
plus security fixes. and the tag for it is as above.  see:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html

>You could set the=20
> date on your cvsup but there won't be any more changes to 4.7-stable.=20

There is no such thing as 4.7-stable

> It doesn't exist in the current tree. In a while, RELENG_4 will be=20
> 4.8-release and then 4.8-stable.

That's a way of thinking of it, but a confusing one, and not the one used=
 by=20
the project.  The stable tree only has a major number like 4-stable or=20
eventually 5-stable.  The releases are static points along the moving sta=
ble=20
development track  like this

--\------------\----------------\--------->4.x stable
    \               \               \
     \-4.6Rel     \-4.7Rel     \-4.8Rel  (soon)
=09=09=09 \
=09=09=09  \-4.7Rel-p1
=09=09=09       \
=09=09=09=09\-4.7Rel-p2   etc

4-stable is called 4-stable throughout the process of branching off relea=
ses,=20
to avoid confusion. (which changing the name of 4-stable after every rele=
ase=20
could cause.)   It's just the way it's done.

Tim