Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:31:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
To:        Joseph Lephan <mystical@houston.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd not correctly monitoring cpu usage

> nope, top didn't register it either: 0.0% for user/nice/system/interrupt/idle
>

> > some load monitors only work on linux.  i'd expect them to work if
> > you installed them from ports, but you don't say if you did or not.
>
> both gkrellm and wmaker were installed from ports. I thinking about trying to
> compile from source, but i don't know how that will turn out
>

> > ps - while writing the above 3 lines, i installed gkrellm on my
> > freebsd 4.5 machine and it worked fine!
>
> Darn IT!!! :o)

The only time I've ever seen the behavior you are seeing is on laptops
or other machines with broken statclocks. The way I fixed it was by adding
the following line to my kernel config:

device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20

The 0x20 supposedly works around the broken statclock somehow... allowing
at least somewhat accurate cpu usages to be reported (they aren't fully
accurate because you need both clocks to report cpu stats accurately)

Ken