Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:42:53 -0800
From:      Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>
To:        nino@inode.at, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum and disk failures - practical experience? (+ more IDE RAID questions)

At 6:29 PM +0100 3/25/00, Marinos J . Yannikos wrote:
>Does anyone have practical experience with recent versions of vinum and
>actual disk failures, particularly with a RAID 0+1 configuration (or perhaps
>RAID 1 only) and IDE disks?

I've been through the restore. See my post yesterday regarding steps
to take. My config when I did it was a 1+0 setup, but with SCSI. I
can't imagine the process being any different for IDE.

http://x41.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/threadmsg_if.xp?thitnum=131&mhitnum=0&CONTEXT=954027657.1712455691

>I'm trying to figure out which configurations would give the best data
>resilience with 2-4 IDE disks and vinum's reaction to my first attempts
>at simulating disk failures weren't particularly encouraging.

Resilience: mirror. Resilience plus performance: 1+0 (if you have at
least 3 drives, preferably more)

>Also, what other options would there be for IDE disks and RAID 1/5,
>other than hardware such as Arena II ($2000+)? Are those DupliDisk
>RAID 1 boxes any good?

I had very bad luck with the Arco Duplidisk. Maybe it just doesn't
play nice with FreeBSD? I dunno, but the system was unusable. It
basically looked like HD failures, but once the DD was removed, the
drives behaved 100% normally. I tried a couple fresh, clean
reinstalls, but it didn't help. If you want to buy one to try, you
can have mine for $175. :-)

jon