Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 02:51:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      deepika kakrania <deepika_77@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sending multicast packets

 hi

 We are running freebsd 3.3 release.

 i am having the scenario where two daemons running on

two routers which are on the same LAN have to exchange
multicast packets. To test the multicasting
capability, i have taken 2 sample programs. Both of
them are joining same multicast group and therefrom i
have considered two cases.

1)One program will send multicast packets to multicast
group and other will be receiving. I ran tcpdump on
both the machines to see the flow of packets. The
applications are sending and receiving packets but
tcpdump doesn't show any packet flow between these
two.
It only shows igmp report and leave packets. We could
see the proper flow of packets only once using
tcpdump.
After that tcpdump is not showing any packet flow.

2)both programs will be sending and receiving
packets.In this, both applications first join
multicast group and then one application sends packet
to this multicast group and other will read these
packets and then will write back same packet which
should be read by first application. But here, second
application doesn't receive the first packet itself.
Here also, tcpdump doesn't show any packets flowing
between these two routers.

Could someone explain to me why there is no packet
flow in second case(in both directions
simultaneously)?

Thanks in advance.

regards,