Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 02:52:25 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
Cc:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MD5 v. DES?

"J.A. Terranson" wrote in message ID
<01BD8B6C.68192890@w3svcs.mfn.org>:

> Actually, this question is nonsensical, as MD5 and DES are
> two *entirely* different things.

Err, actually I think you are missing some context.

FreeBSD can use either MD5 or DES passwords. Why? Well, since the way
crypt() is used to check passwords is to re-encrypt a supplied
password and then checking it against the one in the password
database, you *can* use a one way hash like MD5 as a password
``crypt'' since you are only ever encrypting. It also gets around
a very tricky situation in the US where you cannot export crypto code.
However, you can export hashing functions ...

So, in general, you are right. However, in this case I believe we are
talking about password functions, and there *is* a relevance to the
comparison.

Gary