Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 03:20:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/6557: /bin/sh is broken

The following reply was made to PR bin/6557; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To: Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,
        dima@best.net
Cc: Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>,
        "Greg A. Woods" <woods@zeus.leitch.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 12:15:18 +0200

 In <v04011703b21d335451a4@[128.113.24.47]>, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
 > So, what (if anything) was decided after all this discussion about
 > IFS handling in /bin/sh?

 There's no "FreeBSD" decision, but I can state my impressions:

 1) The issue is utterly complex. Regarding to Posix, the semantics of
 $IFS change with the contents, to support every IFS construction that
 was formerly i use on different shells. Urgs...

 2) The construct autoconf is falling over is very simple to replace
 with one extra variable assignment and FreeBSD's ash isn't the only
 one that fails to supports this construct, so I really think the
 autoconf people should change it. After all, the whole point of
 autoconf is to determine differences in systems, it shouldn't rely on
 non-portable behaviour, at least not when not neccessary.

 3) I just ordered my Posix documents (expensive!), until they arrive,
 I can't really act.

 Said that, Thor Egge commited some syntax fixes to sh a few days
 ago. He did not change the basic IFS behaviour, but fixed some real
 bugs related to list handling. It is possible that the code you have
 problems with is affected by this. Could you try your example with the
 newest sh from -current and give us feedback (or post the code)?

 Martin
 --
 Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer