Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 14:14:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>
To:        Dan Trainor <dan@ript.org>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: State of the ports collection

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Dan Trainor wrote:

> What's going to happen to all these ports that still depend on file
> locations in the 4.5 release(s)?  The reason I ask is that I see that
> now we're going to have to make two kinds of ports - one for 4.x and one
> for 5.x, or are header files and stuff like that stored as global
> variables... or something.  Kris Kennaway talked a bit about moving
> specific headers (and possibly more) to different locations:
>
> :: * (>27 ports) The <machine/soundcard.h> header was moved, breaking
> :: * (>35 ports) Something caused sys_nerr to change prototypes.  It
>      looks like this might be because the definition of __const from
>      <sys/ctypes.h> has changed, but I can't see why.  See for example
>
> I don't know, it was just something that concerned me.  I'd hate to see
> version-specific ports, and I'm hoping it doesn't come down to that.
>
> - dt
> - dan@ript.org

The soundcard.h problem is solved very easily in ports that do something
like this:

#ifdef __FreeBSD__
#include <machine/soundcard.h>
#else
#include <sys/soundcard.h>
#endif

just change the

#ifdef __FreeBSD__

#if __FreeBSD__ <= 4

All that happened was that a symlink that was present before from
sys/soundcard.h to machine/soundcard.h (that had been there for close to 2
years) was removed. prior to that it was at machine/soundcard.h? I'm not
sure.

-Trish

--
Trish Lynch					trish@bsdunix.net