Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 17:44:12 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Sean Winn <sean@perky.gothic.net.au>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stopping users from rebooting with ctr-alt-del

At 01:38 AM 12/21/96 +1100, you wrote:
>I can already see a nice simple problem, in that it would only work after
>login...if you need to shutdown because you can't login for some reason
>(exhausted swap space because of a nasty process?), then this makes things
>difficult...but it should help machines in public places around people who
>have too much curiosity.

A simple solution: In secure mode, make CTRL-ALT-DEL sync the disks, alert
the user, and keep synced for a short amount of time (say 5 seconds). Allow
three of these syncs, then set a limit of eg 5 minutes before somebody can
do it again.
This way the administrator can sync and then remove power or hard reset,
but a nobody can't do "prank resets" - you get a maximum of 15s/300s = 5%
non-disk time if somebody is standing there messing with the machine
constantly.  (Possibly these constants should be tweaked, but I doubt
somebody will stand there for five minutes just to "lock the disk" again)
Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/