Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 18:45:27 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Splash Background Color

Kazutaka YOKOTA:
 |>Is there a way to change the background (overscan) color used to display
 |>VESA splash pics?
 |>
 |>Those saturn splash screens look nice, but the overscan is fire engine
 |>read -- most annoying.
 |What you see as the background and border color is whichever color happen
 |to be set in the color palette 0 in the bitmap file.
1)
 |assumption that bitmap files tend to store frequently used colors at the
 |beginning of the color palette table
2)
 |Alternative approach would be that we search for "black" palette and use
 |that palette index number to fill the background.

If there's some cool tool that we can point people to, which will let them
easily put the preferred background color in slot 0 in the bitmap file's
color table and rewrite the file, then Option #1 sounds like a good way to
go.

If there isn't, I'd be interested in a way to do Option #2.

 |As for options to specify the background color, you cannot specify the
 |background color by some options to the splash decoders.  AFAIK, there
 |is no way to pass option strings to the KLD module...

Ok.

Thanks,

Randall